Specialist Volunteer Network
Current Specialist Volunteer trustee opportunities
Charity trustees are some of the most important people in a charity.
The bottom line is, good governance led by a charityâ€™s board is no longer an optional extra. Itâ€™s essential to charitiesâ€™ effectiveness and probably their survival too. Charities need to be able to demonstrate that they take it seriously, allowing it to change the way they operate.
Source: Charity Commission 2018
Charities need a wide range of skills from their trustees, to understand and address the many challenges charities can face. They need trustee boards that can challenge one another and the status quo, that bring different experiences, knowledge and ideas, but that are able to work consistently and enthusiastically as a team.
If you are interested in any of the opportunities below please get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
- CarrGomm –Â CarrGommÂ is a leading Scottish social care and community development charity. They currently support about 2,000 people every day across Scotland to live their lives safely and well according to their choices, whilst making plans to achieve their hopes and dreams for tomorrow. Their support is person-centred and strongly reflects their values of choice, control, respect, interdependence, and openness and honesty, ensuring that people can lead full and positive lives as active citizens. Currently they are looking for new trustees with an awareness of the social care sector, an accountant, or someone with digital marketing or technology, or fundraising experience.
- Bridgend Farmhouse – Bridgend Farmhouse is a community owned and run charitable organisation in south Edinburgh with aÂ missionÂ to ensure their nowÂ renovated farmhouse exists as a sustainable community-owned centre for learning, eating and exercise, where all can learn, work and grow together to develop a flourishing community and place. They are seeking a new Treasurer to join their Board. If you have a finance background, ideally within the charity sector (but not essential) and share their vision, passion and commitment of community work, then please get in touch with Chair@bridgendfarmhouse.org,ukÂ Closing date: 5th October, 2020
- Street Fit ScotlandÂ –Â Street Fit Scotland is a Health, Fitness and well being programme aimed at socially disadvantaged adults. TheirÂ programme welcomes anyone who is living in homeless hostels, temporary accommodation, bed and breakfast or vulnerably housed. They aim to reduce social isolation, improve mental health as well as address long-term physical health needs. Currently they are looking for a Chairperson and a Treasurer.
- Money Advice Scotland – Money Advice Scotland is Scotlandâ€™s money charity. They exist to help people in debt, support money advisers, and influence policy. Their mission is to be the driving force towards financial wellbeing for the people of Scotland. They believe everyone in debt deserves to be treated fairly. Debt can happen to anyone and they understand how it can affect someoneâ€™s life which is why they are always working towards securing fairer practices for people in debt. Currently they have two vacancies on their Board and are looking for IT and HR professionals to join them.
- Amma – Amma Birth CompanionsÂ believe that every mother should have access to the tools and information needed to make informed choices about birth. Working with pregnant women facing significant adversity, they provide support, advocacy and resources to help reduce fear, overcome barriers, ensure womenâ€™s voices are heard and mitigate health inequalities.This is an exciting opportunity to join a young charity in its first year of service provision. The Board already has a diverse skillset and they are seeking to build on that as they replace former board members who have now become their employees. They are looking for new trustees with a legal background or experience of the charity sector or with a background in mental health.
- Home Start Glasgow South – Home-Start Glasgow South is a family support charity offering support that helps to give young children the best possible start in life. They work with families to help them overcome issues affecting their lives with a range of family support services. Issues like isolation, mental health difficulties, bereavement, family breakdown, addiction, physical ill-health and more. They are seeking a new Chair for their Board of Trustees who will provide leadership to theÂ Trustees whoÂ have a broad range of skills including Law, Finance, Fundraising, HR, Social Work, Teaching, Training and Senior Management Expertise.
- Baltic Street Adventure PlaygroundÂ –Â Baltic Street is a Charity , which exists to provide and sustain an environment in which children are supported and enabled to act on their right to play in the fullest possible way, throughout their childhood. It aims to address the whole child as a part of the community they are growing up in, and actively support and nurture physical as well as social, emotional and developmental well-being. Our child-led approach puts children at the heart of decision-making, growing their confidence, capacity for independent action and ability to affect change. The team are looking to augment their board with new trustees with a business backgroundÂ and who want to get involved in adventure play.
- Moira Anderson Foundation –Â The Moira Anderson Foundation offers individual care and support to survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse and their families and seeks to lessen the impact of trauma in their lives. TheyÂ raise awareness of Childhood Sexual Abuse in society, build trust with survivors and offer a range of therapeutic services in a safe and caringÂ environment. Currently they have a Board vacancy for an individual with clinical experience to keep them informed ofÂ new and emerging practices. And also an individual with a background in finance.
- Covey Befriending –Â Do you want to have a different Board experience, working with a charity that ensures that it is about you as a person before your role? Covey wants to add to their team those who have passion and enthusiasm; able to contribute to developing and growing the organisation and giving strategic direction and focus. They are looking to add experience and knowledge to their existing established Board or 6 members in the areas of Finance, or Education and/orÂ Social Work.
- Larkhall + District Volunteer Group –Â Larkhall + District Volunteer Group is a trusted local organisation which works to promote the wellbeing of the community in Lanarkshire by reducing physical and social isolation whilst increasing health and wellbeing. They have a clear vision and an ambitious strategic plan covering the next three years and areÂ looking for enthusiastic, community-minded and experienced individuals to fulfil this vision. In particular experience of fundraising, marketing, commercial operations, HR, finance and digital skills would be useful.
- Self-Directed Support Forum – Based in Giffnock, East Renfrewshire this SDS Forum is a local organisationÂ for anyone who is thinking about directing their own support or that of someone they care for. They also support individuals and families who are already directing an existing social care package. Having recently completed a trustee skills audit the board have identified a vacancy for a trustee with business and/or finance skills.
None at present