Specialist Volunteer Network
Current Specialist Volunteer trustee opportunities
Charity trustees are some of the most important people in a charity.
The bottom line is, good governance led by a charity‚Äôs board is no longer an optional extra. It‚Äôs essential to charities‚Äô effectiveness and probably their survival too. Charities need to be able to demonstrate that they take it seriously, allowing it to change the way they operate.
Source: Charity Commission 2018
Charities need a wide range of skills from their trustees, to understand and address the many challenges charities can face. They need trustee boards that can challenge one another and the status quo, that bring different experiences, knowledge and ideas, but that are able to work consistently and enthusiastically as a team.
If you are interested in any of the opportunities below please get in touch with me at email@example.com in the first instance.
- CarrGomm –¬† CarrGomm¬† is a leading Scottish social care and community development charity. They currently support about 2,000 people every day across Scotland to live their lives safely and well according to their choices, whilst making plans to achieve their hopes and dreams for tomorrow. Their support is person-centred and strongly reflects their values of choice, control, respect, interdependence, and openness and honesty, ensuring that people can lead full and positive lives as active citizens. Currently they are looking for new trustees with an awareness of the social care sector, an accountant, or someone with digital marketing or technology, or fundraising experience.
- AdvoCard – AdvoCard is a well-established independent advocacy charity primarily serving people with experience of mental ill health in Edinburgh. They provide opportunities for people at risk of marginalisation and exclusion to participate more effectively in decisions that affect all aspects of their lives, through individual and collective advocacy. They ¬†are looking for new Board Directors who share their passion about the importance of advocacy in enabling people to have choice and control of decisions in or about their lives. Superficially knowledge and experience in charity and voluntary sector finance; HR; Business management; strategic and partnership development; commissioning and contracting; advocacy, social care and health services would be especially useful.
- Rural and Urban Training Scheme (RUTS) –¬†RUTS aims to equip young people with the confidence and skills required to achieve their highest potential and raise their aspirations. This is achieved through motorcycle and bicycle based programmes that are tailored to the individual needs of our clients. Currently they are looking for trustees with either a ¬†finance or marketing background.
- Canongate Youth – Canongate Youth offers a relevant and holistic programme of services to support children and young people age 5-25 years, with issues they are facing and look at ways they can help them navigate those issues. Their provision includes youth and children‚Äôs clubs, holiday activities, employability support, group work, a social enterprise caf√©, 1-1 support and outdoor play. They are a well established charity with a good senior management team and board and are currently looking to fill the role of Treasurer.
- Street Fit Scotland¬†–¬†Street Fit Scotland is a Health, Fitness and well being programme aimed at socially disadvantaged adults. Their¬†programme welcomes anyone who is living in homeless hostels, temporary accommodation, bed and breakfast or vulnerably housed. They aim to reduce social isolation, improve mental health as well as address long-term physical health needs. Currently they are looking for a Chairperson and a Treasurer.
- Edzell Nursery –¬† A private nursery currently transitioning to a Community Interest Company (CIC) is looking for a Treasurer to help guide them through this exciting next step. Edzell is a well established Edinburgh nursery that provides a happy, safe and stimulating environment for children. Their experienced and attentive staff and low enrolment numbers creates a special nursery experience for children as they take their first steps into learning.
- Amma – Amma Birth Companions¬†believe that every mother should have access to the tools and information needed to make informed choices about birth. Working with pregnant women facing significant adversity, they provide support, advocacy and resources to help reduce fear, overcome barriers, ensure women‚Äôs voices are heard and mitigate health inequalities.This is an exciting opportunity to join a young charity in its first year of service provision. The Board already has a diverse skillset and they are seeking to build on that as they replace former board members who have now become their employees. They are looking for new trustees with a legal background or experience of the charity sector or with a background in mental health.
- Outside the Box –¬†Outside the Box provides independent development support to groups and people across Scotland who want to make a difference in their communities. They work on a broad range of projects¬† offering support, information, training, evaluation and advice. They are looking for people to join the board who will also give focused support to the financial aspects of delivering what they do and developing the organisation. They are setting¬† up a Finance sub-committee so a good working knowledge of accounting or finance would be desirable.
- Home Start Glasgow South – Home-Start Glasgow South is a family support charity offering support that helps to give young children the best possible start in life. They work with families to help them overcome issues affecting their lives with a range of family support services. Issues like isolation, mental health difficulties, bereavement, family breakdown, addiction, physical ill-health and more. They are seeking a new Chair for their Board of Trustees who will provide leadership to the¬†Trustees who¬† have a broad range of skills including Law, Finance, Fundraising, HR, Social Work, Teaching, Training and Senior Management Expertise.
- Stepping Stones for Families For nearly thirty years, Stepping Stones for Families had worked alongside children, young people and families to give them support, opportunities and a voice in tackling the effects of poverty and disadvantage in their lives. They will have three board roles available in early 2020 due to existing trustees rotating off the board at the end of their term. At the moment they are looking for a Treasurer to review the charity’s financials and present to fellow trustees at the board meetings.
- Baltic Street Adventure Playground¬†–¬†Baltic Street is a Charity , which exists to provide and sustain an environment in which children are supported and enabled to act on their right to play in the fullest possible way, throughout their childhood. It aims to address the whole child as a part of the community they are growing up in, and actively support and nurture physical as well as social, emotional and developmental well-being. Our child-led approach puts children at the heart of decision-making, growing their confidence, capacity for independent action and ability to affect change. The team are looking to augment their board with new trustees with a business background¬† and who want to get involved in adventure play.
- Refugee Survival Trust – The vision of RST is to secure a welcoming, safe Scotland for refugees and asylum seekers. They provide refugees and people seeking asylum with practical support when it is most needed, build connections between people and use what they learn to campaign for change. Currently they are seeking a Treasurer to join their board. This is a hands on role with a commitment of approximately three hours per week at times . The Treasurer would be expected to attend board meetings, subcommittee meetings, the¬† annual strategy day, AGM and other events, and have strong financial management skills.
- STAF – STAF aim to hear, reflect and act on the voice of young people leaving care. By doing so, they create a care system that prioritises what is important to care-experienced young people.The voice of young people feeds into all of their events, learning and development opportunities and policy influence. Currently they are looking to expand their board and diversify the skill set of the board through adding individuals with experience in HR, Finance or working with public bodies.
- Moira Anderson Foundation –¬†The Moira Anderson Foundation offers individual care and support to survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse and their families and seeks to lessen the impact of trauma in their lives. They¬†raise awareness of Childhood Sexual Abuse in society, build trust with survivors and offer a range of therapeutic services in a safe and caring¬† environment. Currently they have a Board vacancy for an individual with clinical experience to keep them informed of¬†new and emerging practices. And also an individual with a background in finance.
- Covey Befriending –¬† Do you want to have a different Board experience, working with a charity that ensures that it is about you as a person before your role? Covey wants to add to their team those who have passion and enthusiasm; able to contribute to developing and growing the organisation and giving strategic direction and focus. They are looking to add experience and knowledge to their existing established Board or 6 members in the areas of Finance, or Education and/or¬† Social Work.
- Larkhall + District Volunteer Group –¬†Larkhall + District Volunteer Group is a trusted local organisation which works to promote the wellbeing of the community in Lanarkshire by reducing physical and social isolation whilst increasing health and wellbeing. They have a clear vision and an ambitious strategic plan covering the next three years and are¬†looking for enthusiastic, community-minded and experienced individuals to fulfil this vision. In particular experience of fundraising, marketing, commercial operations, HR, finance and digital skills would be useful.
- Self-Directed Support Forum – Based in Giffnock, East Renfrewshire this SDS Forum is a local organisation¬†for anyone who is thinking about directing their own support or that of someone they care for. They also support individuals and families who are already directing an existing social care package. Having recently completed a trustee skills audit the board have identified a vacancy for a trustee with business and/or finance skills.
- The Food Train – Located in Dumfries,¬†Food Train is an award winning charity providing practical support services helping older people to live more independently at home. They are¬†a growing charity seeking new areas of Scotland (and the rest of the UK) to set up support for older people.¬†¬†To help them achieve their objectives they are looking for people who are passionate about supporting older people to live well to join their Board of Directors. Currently they are looking to¬†appoint a Director with knowledge of¬† fund-raising and/or¬† legal expertise.
- Encompass Borders –¬† Encompass is a membership organisation.¬†¬†Membership is open to individuals who support the aims of the organisation which are: 1) to provide a support service to people who are in need by reason of age, ill-health, disability or other disadvantage so that they have more choice, flexibility and control of their own care. And 2) to advance education through the development of individual capabilities, skills and understanding.Membership of the company is open to anyone with an interest in the charity’s aims. The members elect a Board, of whom 50 per cent will either be in receipt of a Direct Payment or an unpaid carer. Currently they are looking for a Treasurer to monitor the the financial administration of the charity.
- Scottish Older People’s Assembly – With meetings alternating between Edinburgh and Glasgow SOPA¬†exists to give a strong voice to older people about their experience of life in Scotland, their challenges and concerns, and to celebrate the positive contribution that older people make to society. SOPA engages with older people across Scotland through outreach meetings and its links with member organisations. SOPA participates in national policy forums and events as well as organising its own Assembly and annual Reception. SOPA is currently working to develop digital engagement to extend their reach further. Currently they are particularly interested in hearing from people with experience in finance, fundraising and political engagement.
None at present