Specialist Volunteer Network
Current Specialist Volunteer trustee opportunities
Charity trustees are some of the most important people in a charity.
The bottom line is, good governance led by a charityâ€™s board is no longer an optional extra. Itâ€™s essential to charitiesâ€™ effectiveness and probably their survival too. Charities need to be able to demonstrate that they take it seriously, allowing it to change the way they operate.
Source: Charity Commission 2018
Charities need a wide range of skills from their trustees, to understand and address the many challenges charities can face. They need trustee boards that can challenge one another and the status quo, that bring different experiences, knowledge and ideas, but that are able to work consistently and enthusiastically as a team.
If you are interested in any of the opportunities below please get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
- SWAN – The Scottish Womenâ€™s Autism Network (SWAN) was formed in 2012 with a mission to ensure that Scotland is a home where autistic women and girls can flourish. SWAN now seeks three new trustees to join the current Board of six members. The role of Treasurer will become vacant in January 2021 and, as such, good accounting skills would be required. In addition, post a Board skills audit SWAN is Â looking to recruit individuals with general business skills with a focus on fund-raising, business development, marketing, and or legal, and the ability to be a strong advocate for the charity.
- Shakti Women’s Aid – Shakti Womenâ€™s Aid helps BME women, children, and young people experiencing, or who have experienced, domestic abuse from a partner, ex-partner, and/ or other members of the household. They also work closely with the Scottish Government, Police Scotland, NHS Scotland, and other statutory and voluntary services. They provide training and consultancy for agencies working with BME women, children, and young people and have outreach staffÂ in Dundee, Stirling and Fife. As a Women’s Aid charity the Board reflects the service users and as such is all female. An opportunity has arisen to join their Board and a female candidate with financial experience is sought.
- Greyfriars Foundation – Greyfriars Foundation was formed in 2013 and today, the main objectives of the Foundation fundraising effort are to assist with the adornment of furnishings, beautifying of the Kirk and surroundings, research into the history of the Kirk, promotion of artistic and educational activities. The Board is looking for a new trustee with an artrs background and would encourageÂ candidates keen to secure their first trustee role to apply.
- Street Fit ScotlandÂ –Â Street Fit Scotland is a Health, Fitness and well being programme aimed at socially disadvantaged adults. TheirÂ programme welcomes anyone who is living in homeless hostels, temporary accommodation, bed and breakfast or vulnerably housed. They aim to reduce social isolation, improve mental health as well as address long-term physical health needs. Currently they are looking for a Chairperson and a Treasurer.
- Mayfield and Easthouses Youth 2000 Project – Mayfield and Easthouses Youth 2000 Project (Y2K) is a well-respected community project which aims to broaden the horizons and realise the potential of the young people (11-18) of the area. They are seeking to enhance their Board of Directors through the recruitment of trustees with a commitment to young people and youth work who will help us to continue to develop the projectâ€™s services. General business skills required but a commitment to young people is paramount.
- Glasgow Film Theatre – Award winning Glasgow Film is Scotland’s original independent cinema. Glasgow Film is a national centre for film and moving image media where audiences and filmmakers experience and debate cultural practice and ideas through diverse, unique and quality programmes that transform the way people see the world, through film. They have a number of vacancies and are keen to hear from candidates with experience in the followingg areas HR/Legal/EDI/Digital&Data.
- Home-Start Glasgow South – Home-Start Glasgow South supports parents to engage positively with their children when they are struggling to cope with many different challenges and issues. Due to expansion over the last couple of years they are looking for dynamic individuals to join their Board of Trustees. Currently they are looking to recruit Trustees with expertise and knowledge in; Charity or Contract Law, HR, Technology and Social Media, and finance.
- First Tier – First Tier provides trauma informed support to survivors of sexual abuse, childhood abuse and complex trauma who are experiencing struggles with their mental health and/or have learning support needs. They aspire to break the cycle of trauma, abuse and offending behaviour. They are looking to grow their Board and would be like to hear from people who are experienced trustees or looking for their first trustee opportunity. No specfic skills sets asked for just a passion to make a difference.
- Dixon Community – The Dixon Community is a voluntary organisation established in 1972 and has been a major provider of multicultural care and support to older people and carers in the Southside of Glasgow, responding to the changing needs within the community, in partnership with Glasgow City Council. In order to support the charity’s development they are currently looking for five trustees to bring more diversity to the skill sets on the Board. They have identified a need for accountancy, marketing, a knowledge of the care sector and policy and digital technology.
- Amma – Amma Birth CompanionsÂ believe that every mother should have access to the tools and information needed to make informed choices about birth. Working with pregnant women facing significant adversity, they provide support, advocacy and resources to help reduce fear, overcome barriers, ensure womenâ€™s voices are heard and mitigate health inequalities.This is an exciting opportunity to join a young charity in its first year of service provision. The Board already has a diverse skillset and they are seeking to build on that as they replace former board members who have now become their employees. They are looking for new trustees with a legal background or experience of the charity sector or with a background in mental health.
- Home Start Glasgow South – Home-Start Glasgow South is a family support charity offering support that helps to give young children the best possible start in life. They work with families to help them overcome issues affecting their lives with a range of family support services. Issues like isolation, mental health difficulties, bereavement, family breakdown, addiction, physical ill-health and more. They are seeking a new Chair for their Board of Trustees who will provide leadership to theÂ Trustees whoÂ have a broad range of skills including Law, Finance, Fundraising, HR, Social Work, Teaching, Training and Senior Management Expertise.
- Baltic Street Adventure PlaygroundÂ –Â Baltic Street is a Charity , which exists to provide and sustain an environment in which children are supported and enabled to act on their right to play in the fullest possible way, throughout their childhood. It aims to address the whole child as a part of the community they are growing up in, and actively support and nurture physical as well as social, emotional and developmental well-being. Our child-led approach puts children at the heart of decision-making, growing their confidence, capacity for independent action and ability to affect change. The team are looking to augment their board with new trustees with a business backgroundÂ and who want to get involved in adventure play.
- Moira Anderson Foundation –Â The Moira Anderson Foundation offers individual care and support to survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse and their families and seeks to lessen the impact of trauma in their lives. TheyÂ raise awareness of Childhood Sexual Abuse in society, build trust with survivors and offer a range of therapeutic services in a safe and caringÂ environment. Currently they have a Board vacancy for an individual with clinical experience to keep them informed ofÂ new and emerging practices. And also an individual with a background in finance.
- Foundation Scotland – For 25 years Foundation Scotland has been working to strengthen communities throughout Scotland. They help communities take action, create positive change and deliver lasting impact.Over the years, the generosity of funders, the dedication of community members and their expertise in community finance, have combined to enrich thousands of lives. As a Trustee, you will become part of their team, helping them to help Scotlandâ€™s communities grow stronger and sustainably. They are looking to increase the number of Trustees on their Board, welcoming applicants from the widely diverse range of backgrounds which reflect the communities they support.
- Leuchie House – Leuchie House is a Scottish charity with a big heart, expert health and care team and national reach. They pride themselves in a highly individualised and â€˜can doâ€™approach to enabling people with neurologicalconditions to have a fantastic break in their uniquely relaxing country house. They are looking to diversify their Board membership through the recruitment process of 2 new Trustees, one from a social care and health background and one with financancial experience.
- Covey Befriending –Â Do you want to have a different Board experience, working with a charity that ensures that it is about you as a person before your role? Covey wants to add to their team those who have passion and enthusiasm; able to contribute to developing and growing the organisation and giving strategic direction and focus. They are looking to add experience and knowledge to their existing established Board or 6 members in the areas of Finance, or Education and/orÂ Social Work.
- Larkhall + District Volunteer Group –Â Larkhall + District Volunteer Group is a trusted local organisation which works to promote the wellbeing of the community in Lanarkshire by reducing physical and social isolation whilst increasing health and wellbeing. They have a clear vision and an ambitious strategic plan covering the next three years and areÂ looking for enthusiastic, community-minded and experienced individuals to fulfil this vision. In particular experience of fundraising, marketing, commercial operations, HR, finance and digital skills would be useful.
- Self-Directed Support Forum – Based in Giffnock, East Renfrewshire this SDS Forum is a local organisation for anyone who is thinking about directing their own support or that of someone they care for. They also support individuals and families who are already directing an existing social care package. Having recently completed a trustee skills audit the board have identified a vacancy for a trustee with business and/or finance skills.
- Home-Start East Highland – Based in Invergordon Home-Start East Highland wants to see a society in which every parent has the support they need to give their children the best possible start in life. Currently they are looking for a Treasurer and also aÂ Trustee with general business expertise and a passion for supporting their vision in the local community.
None at present