Current Pro Bono Trustee opportunities
Charity trustees are some of the most important people in a charity.
The bottom line is, good governance led by a charity‚Äôs board is no longer an optional extra. It‚Äôs essential to charities‚Äô effectiveness and probably their survival too. Charities need to be able to demonstrate that they take it seriously, allowing it to change the way they operate.
Source: Charity Commission 2018
Charities need a wide range of skills from their trustees, to understand and address the many challenges charities can face. They need trustee boards that can challenge one another and the status quo, that bring different experiences, knowledge and ideas, but that are able to work consistently and enthusiastically as a team.
If you are interested in any of the opportunities below please get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
- Rural and Urban Training Scheme (RUTS) –¬†RUTS aims to equip young people with the confidence and skills required to achieve their highest potential and raise their aspirations. This is achieved through motorcycle and bicycle based programmes that are tailored to the individual needs of our clients. Currently they are looking for trustees with either a ¬†finance or marketing background.
- Pilton Youth & Children’s project – PYCP has been at the centre of the local community for 21 years, building relationships with generations of families and positive relationships with partner organisations. They support children and young people enabling them to overcome inequality, have a positive role in society and realise their potential. They have an excellent forward-looking board and are currently looking for new trustees with a broad business background.
- North East Edinburgh Counselling Service – NEECS have been providing counselling for the local community since 1995. Their services are available to anyone from the age of 16 living within their catchment area. They are currently looking for a Chairperson to help steer and guide the charity forward, support the NEECS manager and promote the work of the charity in the wider community. Good management and leadership skills would be required.
- Greyfriars Charteris Centre – is a¬†‚ÄėPlace for Wellbeing and Innovation‚Äô ‚Äď a building with a clear identity that is an integral part of the local community.¬† The centre is being redeveloped at the moment to run as a social enterprise with a central hub for hospitality with a small staff team and will encourage active volunteering and involvement of the local community. Currently the board is quite small and their is scope to add trustees with HR, Social Enterprise, and Finance skills and or experience of working alongside communities.
- PEEK – A vibrant charity firmly embedded as a thought leader in the Third sector, and enhancing possibilities for children and young people in Scotland, is currently seeking an additional trustee with Impact & Learning skills, Governance & Risk or who comes from a Policy background.
- Move On –¬†Move On Scotland work with vulnerable young people and people affected by homelessness to help them unlock their untapped potential. Their¬†services enable people to develop life and employability skills, build positive social networks, grow in self-confidence, gain qualifications and sustain a job. Currently they are looking for a new Treasurer with a background in finance not necessarily an accountancy qualification. The Treasurer would be expected to provide financial oversight to the Board only, not prepare the financials.
- Stepping Stones for Families¬†For nearly thirty years, Stepping Stones for Families had worked alongside children, young people and families to give them support, opportunities and a voice in tackling the effects of poverty and disadvantage in their lives. They will have three board board roles available in early 2020 due to existing trustees rotating off the board at the end of their term. At the moment they are looking for a Treasurer to review the charity’s financials and present to fellow trustees at the board meetings.
- Baltic Street Adventure Playground¬†–¬†Baltic Street is a Charity , which exists to provide and sustain an environment in which children are supported and enabled to act on their right to play in the fullest possible way, throughout their childhood. It aims to address the whole child as a part of the community they are growing up in, and actively support and nurture physical as well as social, emotional and developmental well-being. Our child-led approach puts children at the heart of decision-making, growing their confidence, capacity for independent action and ability to affect change. The team are looking to augment their board with new trustees with a business background¬† and who want to get involved in adventure play.
- STAF – They aim to hear, reflect and act on the voice of young people leaving care. By doing so, they create a care system that prioritises what is important to care-experienced young people.The voice of young people feeds into all of their events, learning and development opportunities and policy influence. Currently they are looking to expand their board and diversify the skill set of the board through adding individuals with experience in HR, Finance or working with public bodies.
- Hot Chocolate Trust¬†¬†– Located in the centre of Dundee¬† Hot Chocolate Trust is a youth charity working with marginalised young people from across Dundee. Currently they are looking for a Treasurer, they have a full-time book keeper and a Finance Manager so the Treasurer role would be to provide oversight.¬† They are a faith-based charity so they need someone who is comfortable with the ethos of HCT which includes inclusivity, learning together and a tenacious hold on hope!
- Covey Befriending –¬† Do you want to have a different Board experience, working with a charity that ensures that it is about you as a person before your role? Covey wants to add to their team those who have passion and enthusiasm; able to contribute to developing and growing the organisation and giving strategic direction and focus. They are looking to add experience and knowledge to their existing established Board or 6 members in the areas of Finance, or Education and/or¬† Social Work.
None at present